Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Love...

November 9, 2010 - My 27th birthday. I was not looking forward to turning 27, to say the least. It is the year of my 10 year high school reunion, possibly reminding me that I peaked in high school... Little did I know this would be the best birthday I have ever had (even better than the one's my dad missed).

At 7am, my mom woke me up. My first thought, was, "Bitch, you should know better than to wake me before noon on my birthday." But those thoughts slipped away as she whispered, "Alessandra is here..." I know I should have been worried since she was five weeks early, but somehow I knew she was just perfect. Small, but perfect.

My cousins Will and Christiana had given me the best gift I could ever receive. The first time I held her, I cried like, well, a baby. I knew I had an instant connection with her that would be with us for life. I also knew that, like me, she was a diva and a true Scorpio in every sense of the word. For those of you who know me, know that I was very ill during this time but seeing her for the first time, I knew that I could get better and I had to do everything possible to. Which, again, if you know me, you know I have and she is the biggest reason. She gave me hope again.

Since then, I have had the pleasure to spend every Monday with her. One look at her and I forget anything bad that could possibly be happening in my life. She is such a character and exactly what my parents wished on me, a little girl just like me. Recently, her hair has been showing signs of strawberry blond, reminding me that my feisty, diva, red-headed Grandma Arno is around us every day.

On June 19th, I will officially become her God-Mother, an honor that I will never know how to thank Will and Christiana for. As she approaches her six month birthday, I just want to say, I love you with all my heart Alessandra and I will be there for you through every part of your life. To Will and Christiana, I remain in awe of the two of you and your natural and loving parental skills, she is the luckiest little girl in the world. 

As I continue to age, I will be reminded that I haven't peaked and possibly never will, because she will keep me forever young...

No comments:

Post a Comment